SNOW

Wordle: snow

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The LOSS of innocence

MTV has (or had) "Skins,"16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom". Noticing a theme?? Not only are we "glamorizing" sexuality at an early age on television, I hear songs like Britney's little ditty "If U Seek Amy.." (seriously??) amongst countless others that have sexual undertones.Yesterday, I heard a Rhianna song on the airwaves titled "S &M" with lyrics such as: (and your kids are probably singing along!)

"Cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it Sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it Sticks and stones may break my bones But chains and whips excite me"

WOW... glad I have a young adult child and not a tween in days like this. Messages through media (what I have mentioned is just a sample) are stripping the innocence of childhood. I know there are others out there with books like Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein that are debunking the princess culture of young girls. Boys are getting the message that girls are collateral, yuck!(my interpretation)

Our government is endorsing NASCAR yet de-funding public television (well, there IS that Katy Perry wardrobe fiasco ;) ) & public radio programs. Where are our priorities?

Parents of the US, please be in touch with your kids viewing/listening habits. I know that having discussions about issues can be taxing, uncomfortable & time-consuming. Raising your kids in a socially appropriate culture is worth the hassle, no?






1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Check out www.commonsense.org. A voice, crying in the wilderness!~~