SNOW

Wordle: snow

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Good Stuff!

While rearranging my home office & reviewing my personal library, I rediscovered a gem! The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten written by Jeffrey Kacirk is filled with words & their history. "Ninny-broth" was a term used for coffee back in the mid 1800's & "curglaff" is the shock that you feel in bathing when you get into cold water.

It is so entertaining to read these unusual terms. The English language is such a jumble of origins and some of the slang of years ago is so much more challenging than all the techno-speak & IM stuff of today.

I guess I must be a "quidnunc"(an inquisitive person; always seeking for news)!

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

I hope I can find that book somewhere, it sounds awesome. I love words!