SNOW

Wordle: snow

Monday, April 20, 2009

Truth in fiction?!?

So, I will be the first to admit I am a skeptic. If the forecast calls for 3 " of snow, or that I can clean my shower with the flick of a switch, I am the stick in the mud staying , "I live in the 'show-me state'!!"



On a recent trip to the library, I encountered a book on colorstrology--- the concept is that you find your birth date & it will reveal your "color" and describe your traits.



Step 1. Locate birthday; Jan 27 (easy enough) Hmm... the page is polignac (purplish hue), I like purple(coincidence?) The opposite page is lavender... oh, a mere 24 hours!



Step 2. Read character traits: adorable, interesting, and unusual . Okay, so a lot of people qualify for those traits (check other dates in book to see how often those come up, several).Okay, close. I would have chosen "giving, quirky, and curious" but that's just me talkin' here...



Step 3. Passage excerpt "There is something about you that people just love. It may be your innocence (translated as naive) or your unusual perception of life that keeps people enamored (that's a stretch). You have a strong sense of what is right and wrong, you care deeply about humanity. Friends are important to you, so be sure to surround yourself with the right people." Uh, okay. Pretty accurate. Skeptic says.... "read on".



Step 4. Locate other family members birth dates. Colors are relatively compatible with each person. Characteristics are mostly accurate (my mother's was WAY off in my opinion). My son's & brother's seemed to be the most accurate. We even tried the dog's... it was dead on!



So, I guess some of these -ology books may have some entertainment value. I certainly wouldn't live my life by this stuff.



My son says, "Mom, hate to burst your bubble here. We just studied this stuff in Psych & the traits and characteristics are worked so generically that people can find similarities in most of the stuff out there". Well....yeah! Like those people that reportedly can speak to the deceased, just watch the way they talk to the loved one, it is such a scam!!!



Let's just refer to it as
"BRAIN CANDY"

(looks & tastes good but isn't nutritious)
and call it a day!



1 comment:

Sherrie said...

People try to say the same thing about astrology, that it's generic, but it's really not. You, Inga Binga, could be nothing other than an Aquarius - just like me. :)